Kylie

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o You're out of control, Kylie!

No I'm not! That said, I bought 3 more books today. giggle.gif Oh, and I may have bought/ordered another half a dozen online in the last couple of days.

Edward Albee: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Henry James: The Portrait of a Lady

Philip Gooden: The Story of English

The first two are lovely Vintage editions. :D

I'm glad to see that you are cutting back :wink: might not go to the bookfair indeed :giggle2:

I am insanely jealous of all of your new books, the amount of times the word 'letters' comes up in your titles made me almost die of envy. They all look brilliant but especially tempting are all the Henry James's, the Simone de Beauvoir, the Mansfield, all the Orwell's, Woolf's and Mitford related books and the letters of F Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald. .. oh and Ted's poems of course.

Now, you know you haven't got time to read all of these books Missy, you haven't even got time to file and catalogue them but I love the fact that you have put all this to the back of your mind like a true booklover would. Are they giving you a bulk buy discount on your Billy's now? they should you know.

Oh, and we need to see updated bookshelf photo's ... when you're sorted.

Happy reading Kylie :friends0: .. your library is rivalling Mr Darcy's at Pemberley now.

George Orwell: Collected Essays, Journals and Letters 1

George Orwell: Collected Essays, Journals and Letters 2

George Orwell: Collected Essays, Journals and Letters 3

George Orwell: Collected Essays, Journals and Letters 4

Oooh, excellent. Lucky you! :D

I've received a few books in the mail this week:

Mark Dunn: Welcome to Higby

Leon Edel: Bloomsbury: A House of Lions

Deborah Harkness: A Discovery of Witches

Jon Lellenberg et al: Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters

Also, Mum somehow ended up with one of my book fair books, which I got back the other day:

Umberto Eco: Serendipities: Language and Lunacy

I received a few books in the mail today:

Edward Gibbon: The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (abridged)

Gertrude Stein: The Autobiography of Alice B Toklas

Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass

Recent book purchases:

Jeff Deck and Benjamin D Herson: The Great Typo Hunt

Erica Heller: Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller was Dad and Life was a Catch-22

I also received Postcards from Ladybird - a collection of 100 postcards showing covers from classic Ladybird books.

Chris Baker and Jacob Hansen: The Elements of F***ing Style: A Helpful Parody

Thomas Keneally: Australians: Origins to Eureka

HG Wells: Ann Veronica

HG Wells: A Modern Utopia

I went book shopping this afternoon to cheer myself up and came home with:

Agatha Christie: An Autobiography

Christopher Isherwood: Mr Norris Changes Trains

Mary S Lovell: The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family

Nancy Mitford: Pudding & Pie

PG Wodehouse: Laughing Gas

One of these days I'll find time to catalogue them and put them away. Maybe one day I'll even get to read them! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Kylie

Kylie

Wow, you have got to be a major bookbuyer ! I thought I had lots, but mine look like a drop in the bucket compared to yours!

Have you gotten them all on shelves or stored in boxes or where do you keep them ?

Would love to see photos of your bookshe;ves. Must look like a library in your house !

Recent book purchases:

Jeff Deck and Benjamin D Herson: The Great Typo Hunt

Erica Heller: Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller was Dad and Life was a Catch-22

I also received Postcards from Ladybird - a collection of 100 postcards showing covers from classic Ladybird books.

Chris Baker and Jacob Hansen: The Elements of F***ing Style: A Helpful Parody

Thomas Kenneally: Australians: Origins to Eureka

HG Wells: Ann Veronica

HG Wells: A Modern Utopia

I went book shopping this afternoon to cheer myself up and came home with:

Agatha Christie: An Autobiography

Christopher Isherwood: Mr Norris Changes Trains

Mary S Lovell: The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family

Nancy Mitford: Pudding & Pie

PG Wodehouse: Laughing Gas

One of these days I'll find time to catalogue them and put them away. Maybe one day I'll even get to read them! rolleyes.gif

Fantastic haul Kylie :) Like me, I live in hope that I will get to read all of my books too :)

Kylie

Wow, you have got to be a major bookbuyer ! I thought I had lots, but mine look like a drop in the bucket compared to yours!

Have you gotten them all on shelves or stored in boxes or where do you keep them ?

Would love to see photos of your bookshe;ves. Must look like a library in your house !

Hi Julie. :) I have a 'library' room full of bookcases. I do have 2-3 boxes of books that are mostly childhood books or books that I don't need/want. There are some pics that I took back in May here, but I've bought a lot more books (and another bookcase) since then. Once I've shelved all these new books I'll take some new pics.

There is a show your bookshelf thread somewhere, with photos!!

Here 'tis!

Fantastic haul Kylie :) Like me, I live in hope that I will get to read all of my books too :)

Thanks Weave. :D

Holy smokes, Kylie !!!!

I don't even HAVE any books compared to yours !!! I saved that page to go back through all your listing system,etc .

I need to find a way to make mine a little more organized. I'm losing track of what books I have and buying multiple copies of some since I can't remember what I have and what I don't .

That is sure a beautiful selection of books !

Andrea

Thanks for the link to see other's bookshelves. I also saved it so I can go through and look at everything .

You all have such a beautiful message board set up here. Like a Captain's Treasure Chest !!!

Received a nice little haul in the mail today:

Anthony Burgess: A Dead Man in Deptford

Anthony Burgess: Earthly Powers

Mark Garvey: Stylized: A Slightly Obsessive History of Strunk & White's The Elements of Style

Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories (I read TYW in ebook format recently and loved it, so wanted to get my own copy)

W Somerset Maugham: Of Human Bondage

The two Burgess books and the Maugham are Vintage editions.

:)

Edited by Kylie

Received a nice little haul in the mail today:

Anthony Burgess: A Dead Man in Deptford

Anthony Burgess: Earthly Powers

Mark Garvey: Stylized: A Slightly Obsessive History of Strunk & White's The Elements of Style

Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories (I read TYW in ebook format recently and loved it, so wanted to get my own copy)

W Somerset Maugham: Of Human Bondage

The two Burgess books and the Maugham are Vintage editions.

:)

Happy reading Kylie, I do love the vintage editions of books :)

I've received a couple of books in the last few days:

Emma Henderson: Grace Williams Says It Loud

Penguin Modern Classics: The Complete List

The latter is a short little book that just lists all of Penguin's Modern Classics. I couldn't remember why I ordered it at first, but then I remembered that it also includes an essay by Italo Calvino, one of my favourite authors, called 'Why Read the Classics?'

I've also bought several books for my Mum's birthday, which is coming up next week. The lucky gal is also getting a Kindle for her birthday (come on! I'm the reader in the family - why don't I have a Kindle yet? *pouts*)

I've also managed to grab a few minutes here and there to shelve my new books. I've only done the fiction books so far - still have non-fiction to shelve (and I have been buying a lot more non-fiction than fiction, lately!)

Still no time to read though...:(

I bought the lovely Vintage edition of Stella Gibbons' Conference at Cold Comfort Farm today. :)

51SupsWOLIL._SL500_.jpg

Once I've cleaned up my library somewhat, I'm going to take some updated pics of my Vintage collection. I've bought loads since I last posted photos of the covers. :D And Vintage are constantly teasing me by releasing more and more books I'd love to own. I nearly bought Virginia Woolf's Selected Diaries today, but it was priced at nearly $40, despite the fact that pretty much every other Vintage book (from the above series) is priced at $12.95. I was rather bummed. Maybe I should have questioned the staff at the shop to see if it was a mistake.

ETA: Excuse the huge picture. I copied/pasted the pic and resized it but it keeps going back to this size. :huh: Oh well, all the better to admire it...

Edited by Kylie

I bought the lovely Vintage edition of Stella Gibbons' Conference at Cold Comfort Farm today. :)

It's lovely Kylie .. I am filled with a longing so strong it hurts :D

Once I've cleaned up my library somewhat, I'm going to take some updated pics of my Vintage collection.

YES, YES, YES!! :friends0:

I've bought loads since I last posted photos of the covers. :D

I have noticed :giggle2:

And Vintage are constantly teasing me by releasing more and more books I'd love to own.

Tell me about it .. and I'm getting tempted by the Penguin Deluxes too (but they're too big for the shelves :( .. it won't stop me though .. I'll just buy bigger shelves!)

I nearly bought Virginia Woolf's Selected Diaries today, but it was priced at nearly $40, despite the fact that pretty much every other Vintage book (from the above series) is priced at $12.95. I was rather bummed. Maybe I should have questioned the staff at the shop to see if it was a mistake.

You must be able to get it cheaper than that Kylie .. it's RRP is the same as the others isn't it? Does it come with a lock of her hair or something? :D

ETA: Excuse the huge picture. I copied/pasted the pic and resized it but it keeps going back to this size. :huh: Oh well, all the better to admire it...

This happens to me all the time, it's one of the mysteries of life .. I can never successfully resize a pic after I've posted it. But I appreciate the large sized photo ... I can see it clearly in all it's glory.

I bought several more Vintage books today. It's an addiction, I tell ya! I've been in a real book-buying mood lately.

Italo Calvino: Marcovaldo

Stella Gibbons: Westwood

Virginia Woolf Selected Letters

Virginia Woolf: The Years

:D

I called into the post office on the way home on the very off-chance that my pre-ordered copy of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 would be there...and it was! Woohoo! I'm so excited to have received it already. I don't think it actually hits the shelves here for another few days. I was worried that it would be too big for the box and that I'd have to wait even longer to pick it up, but it fit just fine. :D

The dust jacket is so thin and fragile but has a lovely texture, as do the pages! They are so nice to feel...I've been rubbing them between my fingers. blush.gif

Just came here to ramble on about some terrific books news I just found out...Walter Moers has recently published a new book in Germany! It's a sequel to The City of Dreaming Books (which I haven't read yet, but I know I'm going to love). This one's called The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books. I can't wait until it's translated into English! :D There's a synopsis of the book on this blog. Moers is such a creative, brilliant writer (hint hint - go and read him if you haven't already!)

And it looks like Chris Priestley has a new book coming out in March next year, called Mister Creecher. :)

Man I love books. They make me so happy. :D