Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2011

Kylie

I just found out about this person who's letters have been collected into a book and in which you might be interested, but it's a darn shame that there aren't any copies on play.com and the adlibris copies are a bit on the expensive side... Hmph!!

Oooh, what is it? I'm dying of curiosity here!

Do you really want to know? I'd like to get it for you but then again I want to get it for myself too, and two combined would make 30e :huh:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh crikey! No, don't get it for me thank you, just get it for yourself. I was just curious as to what the book; I wasn't at all trying to hint that you should get it for me!

I love Bill Bryson too Kylie, have you read 'The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid'? :)

Oops, I missed your post yesterday. Sorry Weave! friends0.gif

I have it on my TBR pile and it's one of the books I want to read before I read At Home. You've read it, haven't you?

I bought a few books tonight, and my TBR pile has now officially passed 1,000! huh.gif

Hans Christian Andersen: Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales

This is a Puffin edition. I used to have some of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales on cassette tape. I listened to them so many times as a child!

Walter Benjamin: One-Way Street and Other Writings

This sounds like a really interesting collection of essays on subjects such as urban life in 1920s Europe, Proust, Kafka, violence, surrealism, and 'Unpacking My Library', which is described as a 'delightful meditation on book-collecting' (I must confess, this one essay sold the entire book for me smile2.gif).

Nick Hornby: Fever Pitch

Please, Frankie, tell me you liked this one?

Howard Jacobson: The Finkler Question

Winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2010

E Nesbit: The Railway Children

Puffin edition

Ali Smith: The First Person and Other Stories

I wasn't 100% sure, but I thought someone here had been highly recommending Ali Smith so I snapped it up. Sure enough, it was Chesilbeach. Thanks Claire! Have you read this one?

Susan Townsend: Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years

I think I have most of the Adrian Mole series now. I really should start reading them!

A few weeks ago I bought Superfreakonomics and tonight I saw the illustrated hardback edition for the same cheap price of $4, so I just couldn't resist!

I also bought a box set of Postcards from Puffin. It's a collection of 100 postcards of various Puffin covers. I know there's a box set of Penguin classics that I once saw and wanted, but it was about $40. This one was $4. Bargain! :D I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but I'd like to find an arty way to incorporate them into my library.

Edited by Kylie

I don't see any mention of new book purchases!! You're such a tease Kylie. Did you visit Bogan Plaza Book Shoppe? :giggle2:

Geez, give me a minute, woman! I was just fine-tuning my post. tongue.gif

I bought all of them except The Finkler Question from the BPBS. :) I bought Finkler for the bargain price of $10 from Dymocks (down from $33).

Mum decided on her own to go to the secondhand bookshop tonight. She bought 5 Jeffrey Archers, 3 Jeffery Deavers and 1 Lee Child. I'm so proud! :D And she still has a voucher for books that she received from my brother and myself. I think she has nearly read more books than me this year! :(

Well okay, you're not the baddest tease ever, I only beat you by a few minutes.

I bought a few books tonight, and my TBR pile has now officially passed 1,000!

I'll say Congratulations!! No matter if you don't think it appropriate. :smile2:

This is a Puffin edition. I used to have some of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales on cassette tape. I listened to them so many times as a child!

I thoroughly approve! I read some of his stories as a kid. And when I was in Denmark, I was actually living in the town where he was born and brought up, and we visited his house, I believe. I also got to visit his museum and learn some rather peculiar stuff about him. He was a quirky character, I've been wanting to find a biography about him for some years now!

Walter Benjamin: One-Way Street and Other Writings

This sounds like a really interesting collection of essays on subjects such as urban life in 1920s Europe, Proust, Kafka, violence, surrealism, and 'Unpacking My Library', which is described as a 'delightful meditation on book-collecting' (I must confess, this one essay sold the entire book for me ).

This is sooo going on my wishlist!

Please, Frankie, tell me you liked this one?

I read it ages ago and to be honest, didn't fancy it much. I think I should give it another go now that I'm into Hornby. I think it was the football craze that put me off, otherwise it would've been a good enough read. I'll re-read it someday. If you read this first and don't like it, don't be discouraged to read other Hornby novels!

Howard Jacobson: The Finkler Question

Winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2010

Hm, didn't someone start a thread on this book just recently? Don't remember what it's about.

I wasn't 100% sure, but I thought someone here had been highly recommending Ali Smith so I snapped it up. Sure enough, it was Chesilbeach. Thanks Claire! Have you read this one?

Hehe yes I remember someone being very smitten with Ali Smith's writing, too, but wouldn't have remember who.

Susan Townsend: Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years

I think I have most of the Adrian Mole series now. I really should start reading them!

Yes you should! They're excellent :smile2:

A few weeks ago I bought Superfreakonomics and tonight I saw the illustrated hardback edition for the same cheap price of $4, so I just couldn't resist!

If that's not a bargain I don't know what is!! Good job :cool:

I also bought a box set of Postcards from Puffin. It's a collection of 100 postcards of various Puffin covers. I know there's a box set of Penguin classics that I once saw and wanted, but it was about $40. This one was $4. Bargain! I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but I'd like to find an arty way to incorporate them into my library.

Bloody hell!!! Great find. This all has to have come from Bogan Plaza Book Shoppe, right? Man they have good stuff there, I'm so jealous!!! Were there many bogans today? Any asses hanging out of people's shorts?

A truly excellent book/postcard haul, I applaud you!! :yes:

EDIT:

Geez, give me a minute, woman! I was just fine-tuning my post.

No, woman, I will not give you a minute, not when it comes to books!! :giggle2:

I bought all of them except The Finkler Question from the BPBS. I bought Finkler for the bargain price of $10 from Dymocks (down from $33).

BPBS <3 <3 I knew it! That's a real bargain for a Dymocks book, no offense. They're a lovely book shop chain but expensive usually.

Mum decided on her own to go to the secondhand bookshop tonight. She bought 5 Jeffrey Archers, 3 Jeffery Deavers and 1 Lee Child. I'm so proud! And she still has a voucher for books that she received from my brother and myself. I think she has nearly read more books than me this year!

Hehehe! And on her own, good on her! I can't believe she found 3 Jeffery Deavers there, jealous! She must now have more of his novels than I do. I'm very proud too! She's been keeping quite busy hasn't she. So when are you going to start targeting your Dad? :giggle:

Edited by frankie

I'll say Congratulations!! No matter if you don't think it appropriate. :smile2:

Thanks, I guess!

I thoroughly approve! I read some of his stories as a kid. And when I was in Denmark, I was actually living in the town where he was born and brought up, and we visited his house, I believe. I also got to visit his museum and learn some rather peculiar stuff about him. He was a quirky character, I've been wanting to find a biography about him for some years now!

How was he peculiar? I have a feeling we might have discussed him once, but I can't remember the details.

I read it ages ago and to be honest, didn't fancy it much. I think I should give it another go now that I'm into Hornby. I think it was the football craze that put me off, otherwise it would've been a good enough read. I'll re-read it someday. If you read this first and don't like it, don't be discouraged to read other Hornby novels!

Doh! I know you've really liked some of his books and not enjoyed others so much. Obviously I was hoping this was one of the former. I really dislike soccer but I'm hoping the writing will be good enough to make me forget what I'm reading about. wink.gif

I also bought a box set of Postcards from Puffin. It's a collection of 100 postcards of various Puffin covers.

Bloody hell!!! Great find. This all has to have come from Bogan Plaza Book Shoppe, right? Man they have good stuff there, I'm so jealous!!! Were there many bogans today? Any asses hanging out of people's shorts?

I try to avert my eyes from any and all bogans. mocking.gif Honestly, I don't even remember looking at anyone. I've been a bit zombie-like all week.

BPBS <3 <3 I knew it! That's a real bargain for a Dymocks book, no offense. They're a lovely book shop chain but expensive usually.

I know what you mean. Dymocks sent an email saying they had a huge sale off a couple of dozen books, so I had to check it out! I nearly bought one called Gonzo, about Hunter S Thompson, but it was a large, mostly pictorial book, and I would rather read about him than see pictures.

I really, really have to stay away from that other bookshop now. I've been buying too many books!

Hehehe! And on her own, good on her! I can't believe she found 3 Jeffery Deavers there, jealous! She must now have more of his novels than I do. I'm very proud too! She's been keeping quite busy hasn't she. So when are you going to start targeting your Dad?

Last time I looked at her books I actually commented that I thought she had a Deaver collection to rival yours. giggle.gif She must have around 10 of them now. I have to tread very carefully with Dad. I don't want to scare him off!

Have you visited the uni library yet? And aren't there multiple bookshops around there that you usually visit?

Edited by Kylie

- Hans Christian Andersen: Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales

How was he peculiar? I have a feeling we might have discussed him once, but I can't remember the details.

He was peculiar in so many ways that if I started listing them, they'd all seem just weird, out of context details. The thing that most struck me was that he thought himself ugly, or might've been even considered ugly by others. He kept falling in love with women he could never have. He was awfully shy. Later he would also become infatuated with men, but had no better luck with that. I got the feeling that he was very lonely, misunderstood, a very gentle and fragile soul.

- Nick Hornby: Fever Pitch

Doh! I know you've really liked some of his books and not enjoyed others so much. Obviously I was hoping this was one of the former. I really dislike soccer but I'm hoping the writing will be good enough to make me forget what I'm reading about.

Yes, I thought you just couldn't remember which ones I liked and which did not, and you were just out of luck with this one. But fear not, it might be a great one, and it was cheap, and the other books you got will certainly compensate :smile2:

- I also bought a box set of Postcards from Puffin. It's a collection of 100 postcards of various Puffin covers.

I try to avert my eyes from any and all bogans. Honestly, I don't even remember looking at anyone. I've been a bit zombie-like all week.

Awww :empathy: Well who cares about the bogans anyway. You got what you went after :smile2:

- I know what you mean. Dymocks sent an email saying they had a huge sale off a couple of dozen books, so I had to check it out! I nearly bought one called Gonzo, about Hunter S Thompson, but it was a large, mostly pictorial book, and I would rather read about him than see pictures.

Gonzo!! Oh boy, I don't think I would've had the same restraint. Coincidentally, there was this documentary called Gonzo or something along those lines on TV just a few weeks ago, I recorded it. Should be interesting. But yes, it would be more fun to actually read a book about gonzo, than just look at pictures.

- Have you visited the uni library yet? And aren't there multiple bookshops around there that you usually visit?

Not yet, I want to go there with Valtteri and he was at the gym last night and today he's been at work. Also, I want to get a few more books read by the time I go to the uni, so I have books to exchange.

As for your other question, there's a library near by where I always go to see which books they are disposing of, they cost 1 euro each. And now there's a new flea market next to the library so I've been going there too. And I'll probably end up walking to the center of the town next week, to see a few places. The Red Cross charity shop is a good one, and the flea market next to it, and then there's a secondhand bookshop which is my favorite in Finland (not including the ones in Helsinki which are more numerous and which I can't visit often). Then, if I haven't found anything in those places, there are a couple of others. :giggle2: Sometimes my backpack is too loaded to visit those couple of other places!

Edited by frankie

Oooo, yes, I read it last year, Kylie. I hope you like it. Ali Smith has a new novel coming out next month, and I'm going to a publicity event she's doing in a local(ish) bookshop in July and I can't wait. She's definitely in my top three contemporary authors, and I've yet to be disappointed by anything I've read, but I can't remember seeing anyone else reading any of her books but both you and poppyshake have bought one recently, so I'm hoping you'll both enjoy them. :D

I'm sure I will Claire :)

I've got the two Puffins you mentioned Kylie :) I just love their covers (let alone the stories.) I didn't mind 'Fever Pitch' but then I know a few football obsessed men (not Alan thankfully) so knew where it was coming from. I bought 'The Finkler Question' recently too but am a bit daunted, someone here was saying they were forced to abandon :( .. I'll give it a go .. eventually. I need to catch up too with the Adrian Moles .. I haven't read any since the first two (and loved them so can't think why I stopped.) As usual a brilliant days shopping for the mistress, I love the sound of the 'Unpacking my Library' essay ... 1000 books on your TBR :yahoo: .. that's legendary .. we are soooooo not worthy. I've probably got about a hundred, and I'm scared stiff of them.

E Nesbit: The Railway Children

Puffin edition

Awww, I love that book! :) I also love the 1970s film version and the 1990s TV adaptation, both of which I have on DVD and watch time and time again when I'm ironing. I must have seen these over 100 times but I still cry every time (tagged in case you haven't ever read/seen it!)

her Daddy gets off the train! :blush:

I also bought a box set of Postcards from Puffin. It's a collection of 100 postcards of various Puffin covers. I know there's a box set of Penguin classics that I once saw and wanted, but it was about $40. This one was $4. Bargain! :D I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but I'd like to find an arty way to incorporate them into my library.

What? What?! :o Oh dear. I've wanted the Penguin one for ages, but the trouble is I want two because I'd like one to keep and one to do something with (something arty, like you say, or even to use them as actual postcards) but they're about £10... and now you show me these!

Right, if I get any birthday money this year I know what I'm buying (even if it's only one box!). :giggle2:

He was peculiar in so many ways that if I started listing them, they'd all seem just weird, out of context details. The thing that most struck me was that he thought himself ugly, or might've been even considered ugly by others. He kept falling in love with women he could never have. He was awfully shy. Later he would also become infatuated with men, but had no better luck with that. I got the feeling that he was very lonely, misunderstood, a very gentle and fragile soul.

That does sound really interesting. I'll have to look up biographies written about him and add one to my wishlist. :)

- Nick Hornby: Fever Pitch

Doh! I know you've really liked some of his books and not enjoyed others so much. Obviously I was hoping this was one of the former. I really dislike soccer but I'm hoping the writing will be good enough to make me forget what I'm reading about.

Yes, I thought you just couldn't remember which ones I liked and which did not, and you were just out of luck with this one. But fear not, it might be a great one, and it was cheap, and the other books you got will certainly compensate :smile2:

Ah well, hopefully I'll like it - even if you didn't. :)

- I nearly bought one called Gonzo, about Hunter S Thompson, but it was a large, mostly pictorial book, and I would rather read about him than see pictures.

Gonzo!! Oh boy, I don't think I would've had the same restraint. Coincidentally, there was this documentary called Gonzo or something along those lines on TV just a few weeks ago, I recorded it. Should be interesting. But yes, it would be more fun to actually read a book about gonzo, than just look at pictures.

We had the same Gonzo documentary shown here recently. I recorded it and watched a little of it at the time. :) I was looking up biographies on Hunter S Thompson the other day but I don't appear to have added any to my wish list so I guess I hadn't made up my mind (although I think I'll probably get this one - I totally respect Jann Wenner). There's a rather pretty edition of Hell's Angels out that I will probably end up buying, despite the fact that I already have one. smile2.gif

Oooo, yes, I read it last year, Kylie. I hope you like it. Ali Smith has a new novel coming out next month, and I'm going to a publicity event she's doing in a local(ish) bookshop in July and I can't wait. She's definitely in my top three contemporary authors, and I've yet to be disappointed by anything I've read, but I can't remember seeing anyone else reading any of her books but both you and poppyshake have bought one recently, so I'm hoping you'll both enjoy them.

I look forward to hearing how the publicity event goes! I'm looking forward to reading these stories given how highly you rate her. :)

Edited by Kylie

I've got the two Puffins you mentioned Kylie :) I just love their covers (let alone the stories.) I didn't mind 'Fever Pitch' but then I know a few football obsessed men (not Alan thankfully) so knew where it was coming from. I bought 'The Finkler Question' recently too but am a bit daunted, someone here was saying they were forced to abandon :( .. I'll give it a go .. eventually. I need to catch up too with the Adrian Moles .. I haven't read any since the first two (and loved them so can't think why I stopped.) As usual a brilliant days shopping for the mistress, I love the sound of the 'Unpacking my Library' essay ... 1000 books on your TBR :yahoo: .. that's legendary .. we are soooooo not worthy. I've probably got about a hundred, and I'm scared stiff of them.

Thanks for your comments Poppyshake. I'm not sure about the 'not worthy' bit though. I feel it's more of a bad reflection on my slow reading rate! I'm incredibly daunted by it all.

Awww, I love that book! :) I also love the 1970s film version and the 1990s TV adaptation, both of which I have on DVD and watch time and time again when I'm ironing. I must have seen these over 100 times but I still cry every time

Wow, that's some high praise! I can hardly wait to read it now. :)

What? What?! :o Oh dear. I've wanted the Penguin one for ages, but the trouble is I want two because I'd like one to keep and one to do something with (something arty, like you say, or even to use them as actual postcards) but they're about £10... and now you show me these!

Hehe. I must admit that I want the Penguin ones so badly now that I'm about to head over to the Book Depository's website to order them. giggle.gif They have 10% off at the moment so it will work out at about $18 for me. That's obviously far more than the $4 I spent on the Puffiin set, but still reasonably cheap compared to what I would have to buy them for here in Oz, and on average it works out at $11 for each set.

I don't want to cause more trouble or anything, but when I was looking up Postcards from Penguin I noticed that there's another set of postcards, Postcards from Ladybird, being released in October, with covers from Ladybird books published in the 1940s to 1970s. There's also one for Penguin Modern Classics being released at the same time.

I've got the Penguin postcards but the Puffin ones look fantastic and much more colourful. You're spending my money again Kylie .. really, I might as well let you have my pin number :lol:

But if you let me have your pin number I'm afraid I'll be selfish and just buy books for myself! mocking.gif I guess we're even then, because I'm about to go and buy the postcards you have. ;)

Poor fellow went to stay with Dickens and seriously outstayed his welcome (meant to be there for two weeks and stayed for five,) the family all thought him a bore. He never understood why Dickens never answered any of his letters afterwards. I blame it on Dickens though, he could be very pompous and intolerant.

But if you let me have your pin number I'm afraid I'll be selfish and just buy books for myself! mocking.gif I guess we're even then, because I'm about to go and buy the postcards you have. ;)

You must do something arty with them, they're crying out for it .. when you've come up with something let me know and then I can steal your idea :D

Poor fellow went to stay with Dickens and seriously outstayed his welcome (meant to be there for two weeks and stayed for five,) the family all thought him a bore. He never understood why Dickens never answered any of his letters afterwards. I blame it on Dickens though, he could be very pompous and intolerant.

Curiouser and curiouser!

You must do something arty with them, they're crying out for it .. when you've come up with something let me know and then I can steal your idea :D

Ha. I haven't yet replied to your comments on the Show Your Bookshelf thread, but I was going to say that your place is decorated so nicely. I suspect that you would be far more arty than me with the postcards. Unless, of course, Alan is responsible for the interior decorating. wink.gif

Ha. I haven't yet replied to your comments on the Show Your Bookshelf thread, but I was going to say that your place is decorated so nicely. I suspect that you would be far more arty than me with the postcards. Unless, of course, Alan is responsible for the interior decorating. wink.gif

It's only really one room that's nice, the rest of the house is a wreck (you will notice .. I didn't show those pictures :lol: ) .. we have some petrol blue ceilings thanks to the previous owners :o Alan is artistic, I sometimes have ideas but can't carry them out. I can't paint for toffee or draw which annoys me intensely. Like most men Alan leaves it up to me re decorating/furnishing but then has to do all the work!! It's got to the point now though that mostly what I want on the shelves etc is books which he is kind of happy with because bits and pieces and knick knacks aren't his thing at all.

Actually I've had a thought, I could cross stitch my favourite book covers!! I've never thought of that before .. it might work.

Actually I've had a thought, I could cross stitch my favourite book covers!! I've never thought of that before .. it might work.

When we had the stitch-a-long last year, I cross stitched my bookmark with the cover of Twilight as my inspiration, with the word "twilight" in a similar style font used on the books and stitched it in white with a silver blending filament on a black aida, then backed with a black material with a white and red design on it. It made me think that book covers/spines would be great inspirations for bookmarks, and would link nicely in with the theme of books and bookmarks together. I did think of doing a Thursday Next inspired book mark, but never got round to it :roll:

(Sorry to hijack your thread Kylie :blush: )

When we had the stitch-a-long last year, I cross stitched my bookmark with the cover of Twilight as my inspiration, with the word "twilight" in a similar style font used on the books and stitched it in white with a silver blending filament on a black aida, then backed with a black material with a white and red design on it. It made me think that book covers/spines would be great inspirations for bookmarks, and would link nicely in with the theme of books and bookmarks together. I did think of doing a Thursday Next inspired book mark, but never got round to it :roll:

(Sorry to hijack your thread Kylie :blush: )

Kylie won't mind, she's probably :Zzzz: and dreaming of :JC_cookies:

I'll whisper though so as not to wake her. Of course, spines as bookmarks .. brilliant idea :D Have you got a photo of your Twilight bookmark Claire?

I hadn't forgotten to reply in full to your previous posts, but I was in a hurry the last time and only wanted to ask you if you really didn't want to know which book I was thinking about getting you, the one that costs 15e.

That nice older gent who owns it came into the shop as I was paying for my books. He was happy to see me buying so many and said they had been getting worried because the store had been so quiet. I'm worried they will close down.

That would be such a shame! I wish more people would visit the place, maybe they haven't noticed the shop because it's kind of hidden at the back? Or maybe people don't read enough over there :(

- Azar Nafisi: Reading Lolita in Tehran

Abby has read it and liked it, so maybe you're thinking of her. Oh you didn't even remember it was on the Rory list? Tut tut!

There are too many lists and too many books to remember!

Well at least you know now, and are happy because it is on a list :smile2:

Oh crikey! No, don't get it for me thank you, just get it for yourself. I was just curious as to what the book; I wasn't at all trying to hint that you should get it for me!

But you didn't ask me what it was, aren't you curious?! :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

That does sound really interesting. I'll have to look up biographies written about him and add one to my wishlist. :)

Wohoo! :D

- I nearly bought one called Gonzo, about Hunter S Thompson, but it was a large, mostly pictorial book, and I would rather read about him than see pictures.

We had the same Gonzo documentary shown here recently. I recorded it and watched a little of it at the time. :) I was looking up biographies on Hunter S Thompson the other day but I don't appear to have added any to my wish list so I guess I hadn't made up my mind (although I think I'll probably get this one - I totally respect Jann Wenner). There's a rather pretty edition of Hell's Angels out that I will probably end up buying, despite the fact that I already have one. smile2.gif

Who's Jann Wenner and why do you respect him/her? I trust your opinion :) I definitely want to read a biography of him as well.

Poor Andersen :( I lost a little respect for Dickens while reading this. :irked:

But you didn't ask me what it was, aren't you curious?! :giggle2:

Yes! I'm dying of curiosity! Tell me, pretty please?

Who's Jann Wenner and why do you respect him/her? I trust your opinion :) I definitely want to read a biography of him as well.

Jann Wenner is the co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine. He also did an interview with John Lennon just after The Beatles break-up, which is published in book form.

Jann is pronounced 'Yarn', not 'Jan' as I thought it was for years rolleyes.gif. It was then that I learnt that Jann is male, not female.

I received a gorgeous little book in the mail today: Ex Libris: The Art of Bookplates. It's full of the artwork of old bookplaces. I want to incorporate one into my library somehow; perhaps by enlarging one and framing it or something. I don't really approve of sticking them in books.

Edited by Kylie

Yes! I'm dying of curiosity! Tell me, pretty please?

Okay okay! It's Neal Cassady, Collected Letters 1944-1967. How do you like them apples? :cool:

Jann Wenner is the co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine. He also did an interview with John Lennon just after The Beatles break-up, which is published in book form.

Jann is pronounced 'Yarn', not 'Jan' as I thought it was for years rolleyes.gif. It was then that I learnt that Jann is male, not female.

Ah, a respectable man indeed. Because there's an extra 'n' at the end of his name, and because the last name is curious, I thought it might be pronounced 'Yan'. I wonder if he has any Nordic heritage.

I received a gorgeous little book in the mail today: Ex Libris: The Art of Bookplates. It's full of the artwork of old bookplaces. I want to incorporate one into my library somehow; perhaps by enlarging one and framing it or something. I don't really approve of sticking them in books.

That sounds like a real treasure! :smile2:

Poor Andersen :( I lost a little respect for Dickens while reading this. :irked:

I lost most of mine for him when I read about how he treated his wife :o I admire his novels tremendously but, the more I read about him, the more my opinion sinks :(

Okay okay! It's Neal Cassady, Collected Letters 1944-1967. How do you like them apples? :cool:

Very cool! cool.gif Speaking of Cassady, I recently added Off the Road: Twenty Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg to my wishlist. It's by Carolyn Cassady, who was married to Neal Cassady and apparently also involved with Kerouac.

Ah, a respectable man indeed. Because there's an extra 'n' at the end of his name, and because the last name is curious, I thought it might be pronounced 'Yan'. I wonder if he has any Nordic heritage.

Oh no, now I can't remember how it's really pronounced. If it is 'Yan' I'll be embarrassed.

That sounds like a real treasure! :smile2:

It is! :D

Edited by Kylie