Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Funnily enough, your not-too-keen review convinced me that I would absolutely love Byatt, Poppy :smile2: if they're well-written, I love socio-politico-theological tangents so she sounds just right up my street!

I think you would probably absolutely love the historical/political element and also the fairy stories and story writing theme in general .. but there was some graphic content Giulia and some of it fairly shocking .... or at least I was shocked (which is fairly easy I admit) and the underlying feeling of the book was that a lot of the children were betrayed (in different ways) by the sexual inclinations of the adults.

I think Byatt would write an absolutely fascinating factual history of the late 1800's early 1900's and I did like the way in which she slotted her characters into that history as if they really did move in the same circles as Rupert Brooke or Christabel Pankhurst. Rather like Susanna Clarke did when she wrote Lord Byron into 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' .. though Susanna went further and actually wrote dialogue for Byron.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was some graphic content Giulia and some of it fairly shocking .... or at least I was shocked (which is fairly easy I admit)
... nevermind, then. Thanks for the warning :smile2:.

Rather like Susanna Clarke did when she wrote Lord Byron into 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'... though Susanna went further and actually wrote dialogue for Byron.
You have just sold me JS & MN :lol:!

Got these today:

- I, Claudius by Robert Graves

- Beloved by Toni Morrison

- America by Franz Kafka

- The Lost Letter by Nikolai Gogol (a selection of short stories)

- Lottapa tietenkin by Merri Vik

- A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter

- Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

Still reading Vlad, hoping to get through a good chunk tonight, as I'm not doing art at the moment and amn't so distracted. (Says she, posting on a a forum, rather than reading.) Love, love love. As soon as this is finished I'm going purchasing a large section of Humphrey's bibliography because I'm utterly compelled by Vlad's story. I still can't help but feel sorry for the man. He hasn't killed anyone (who wasn't trying to kill him) yet though, so that might change. He's a tough cookie, but he was brought up by his enemy tough cookies who treated him horrifically.

Also going to start Cinema Blue tonight.

@Poppy & Giulia: Between the two of you that Byatt book has caught MY eye and all,I think I'll have to get it! It might not be the best read out there, but it sounds informative and involved, which I love.

@Giulia: You'd love JS & Mr.N. Byron is only in it briefly, but it's a great book.

It does have sex in it, is the only thing. So far the non-standard stuff is rare and implied rather than heavily described, and one descriptive standard scene. (I'm nearly halfway through). But nothing I wouldn't say you could just skip over, it's all pretty short.

@Poppy & Giulia: Between the two of you that Byatt book has caught MY eye and all,I think I'll have to get it! It might not be the best read out there, but it sounds informative and involved, which I love.

I hope you like it when you get around to reading it .. there's a lot to like about it and if you're a fan of history especially from that period then I'm sure you will. For all that it drove me up the wall at times I keep Googling things and events that she wrote about because she sparked an interest.

@Giulia: You'd love JS & Mr.N. Byron is only in it briefly, but it's a great book.

She will won't she .. as long as she's ok with footnotes .. Giulia .. are you ok with footnotes?

Skimmed through Grazia magazine, not much reading there. 100 pages of Wuthering Heights - it's taking me soooo long to read; I think it's maybe suffering from my only being able to dip into it for 20 minutes or so at a time rather than really getting into the language and story. Although if I was really enjoying it I would be making more time to read it. Vicious circle, I guess.

She will won't she... as long as she's ok with footnotes... Giulia... are you ok with footnotes?
I wouldn't say I'm ok with them, more something along the lines of, I *heart* footnotes and want to have their babies :smile2: so yersm, I think I might enjoy this just the teensiest little bit!

I wouldn't say I'm ok with them, more something along the lines of, I *heart* footnotes and want to have their babies :smile2: so yersm, I think I might enjoy this just the teensiest little bit!

I love them too, and they're one of the best things in the book. They explain 'historical' references, explain various myths which are commonplace in the book, and best of all, contain bibliographic references (name, date and page number) to books written by various characters which don't actually exist!

I think you would probably absolutely love the historical/political element and also the fairy stories and story writing theme in general .. but there was some graphic content Giulia and some of it fairly shocking .... or at least I was shocked (which is fairly easy I admit) and the underlying feeling of the book was that a lot of the children were betrayed (in different ways) by the sexual inclinations of the adults.

I think Byatt would write an absolutely fascinating factual history of the late 1800's early 1900's and I did like the way in which she slotted her characters into that history as if they really did move in the same circles as Rupert Brooke or Christabel Pankhurst. Rather like Susanna Clarke did when she wrote Lord Byron into 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' .. though Susanna went further and actually wrote dialogue for Byron.

I'm half way through The children's Book I'm loving it for all the reasons highlighted, but your right it is a very heavy slow moving novel.

After a couple of days new bookless and having to re-read some old favourites i have been lent

Fludd - Hilary Mantell

Murder on the Leviathan - Boris Akunin

will have to see if I like this Mantel having found others very odd.

... best of all, contain bibliographic references (name, date and page number) to books written by various characters which don't actually exist!
OMG - METAFOOTNOTES! *swoons with happiness+!

I haven't done as much reading as I've liked since Sunday due to other goings-on in my life right now, but I did manage to read quite a bit of Bel-Ami before heading into work this morning and then for a bit this afternoon. Hoping to read more in bed tonight :smile2:.