Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right... I knew this would happen... I went to a book sale, today... I walked away with six books. A Stephen King for my brother, a fairy album for my sister, a book on modern architecture for grandpa and, for myself:

The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein - Peter Ackroyd

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett

Dark Alchemy, which is a compilation of short stories by various authors including Neil Gaiman. :welcome:

I'm done, now. I'm not going near that place, again. Maybe...

I have not had much time for reading as I have been really busy with work. I am 162 pages into The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' nest, and I love it, but.... I really want this to be my flight read on next week, as if I have a good book with me on the plane, the flight goes quicker, and I KNOW this will be an absolute blinder of a read. So, do I go and buy it and take by the library copy I have, have a great read on the plane, yet wait a week, and read other books before. Or do I just keep reading and hope I can think of another book want to read for the plane? I am really picky about the reads I take on a plane with me.

But I have been book buying. I went to Sainsbury's today and I got some books in the sale.

Mark Billingham - Buried (50p)

Tom Martin - Pyramid (50p)

Dean koontz's - Frankenstien (Book two; City of the Night) (50p)

Simon Kernick - The Crime Trade (50p)

Vicki Petterson - The Scent of Shadows (

Ooh, that's a dilemma Catwoman! Do you think you can put the Larsson book down that long?

I've read over 100 pages of On the Jellicoe Road. It's an easy read and flying by so I'll be able to start my Rory book/s this weekend. :D

This series totally took over my life! I was so upset when I finished and realised I'd have to wait until May for the next one!:roll:

Me too! I read them last year and thought I'd read them again just before the next book came out but I was tempted by the first chapter of the next book on Charlaine Harris' website. Then I thought I'd just read the first one again (obviously my willpower isn't too great as I'm at book 9 now!!)

I have about 60 pages of Dead and Gone left and I'm once again in love with Eric Northman :D:D

I read around 80 pages of Oscar Wilde: A Life In Letters and 190 pages of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (nearly halfway now) :D

I'm PLANNING to read If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things and finish the Wilde book by Sunday so I'll at least have 5 books read in January - not an amazing amount but better than 3.

Edited by Nollaig

Just finished Dead and Gone and still haven't been able to figure out

which vampire Sookie's great-grandfather meant even though I paid extra attention to all the small details and what does Pam mean by saying that Eric lives on in Sookie????

.......:D Roll on May and Dead in the Family :roll:

Finished Ox-Tales: Earth yesterday - it's an anthology of poems, short stories and extracts from books, put into a collection to be sold in aid of Oxfam (although only available in Waterstone's). Started Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, which looked a normal size book, but it's got a small typeface and very thin tissue paper pages, so it's actually quite long. Will get stuck into it properly today :D

Ooh, that's a dilemma Catwoman! Do you think you can put the Larsson book down that long?

. :D

well I am going to take it back today and try and read something else, so far I have only managed to read 2 pages of A Scent of Blood, so not doing that good, going to try and have a big radign session this afternoon... Hopefully.

I started reading Macbeth yesterday, I'm somewhat struggling with the language. I haven't read Shakespeare in ages and it's been so long since I had that course on Old English, Middle English and so on. I think I'm going to have to get a Finnish copy and read them side by side :D

I finished A Prayer for Owen Meany last night. Despite another trip to the library and coming back with an armful of books, I have decided to be strong and finally finish Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks before starting a new book.

I borrowed Birdsong from the library three months ago but didn't have the chance to finish it, as it was reserved by someone else so they wouldn't let me renew it. I liked it so much that I bought it to finish it off.... but I keep going to the library and coming back with more books, so I have never had the chance to finish it!

I will not start another book this time until I finish Birdsong!

(It's a great book, by the way.)

I finished On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta tonight. The first half of the book was rather confusing but it ended brilliantly (and it was a tear-jerker :D).

Next up is Macbeth by Shakespeare and Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Oh, and I'm thinking of slipping in JK Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

ETA: Frankie, sorry you're having trouble with Macbeth. :roll:

Oh, and I got my two books from the post office:

Neil Gaiman: The Graveyard Book

Anita Loos: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes & But Gentlemen Marry Brunettes

Edited by Kylie

Today I decided to go back to Victorian mysteries and as a fan of Anne Perry I have started on one of her Inspector Pitt novels, The Whitechapel Conspiracy. The title alone I think sounds exciting. So far, so good:)

Today I decided to go back to Victorian mysteries and as a fan of Anne Perry I have started on one of her Inspector Pitt novels, The Whitechapel Conspiracy. The title alone I think sounds exciting. So far, so good:)

Oh I saw this and it sounded interesting, but at the time I had no cash on me. Look forward to hearing what you think.

I ended up staying up last night til 5am, and read the first hundred pages of If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things. Absolutely fabulous opening. It's kinda lulling just below 'great' at the moment, but depending on how it all ties together it could become one of my favourite books.

I didn't ever finish Change of Heart, I got bored I think.

I've started reading Lord Deverill's Secret - more dissertation reading

I'm getting bored but I've already gave up with Misery by Stephen King this year and really don't want to reject another one :D