Bobblybear's Book List - 2013

bobblybear

Never read a Hornby, and I was about to add it to my wish list till I read your review. Shame as it sounded interesting.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear I have this one on the shelves (came as part of a set.) I do like Nick's books in general .. or those I've read .. but I think I'll give this one a miss. It does look pretty on the shelves with the others so I won't turf it out but I absolutely hate the sound of it .. thanks for the warning bobbs :)

Shame you didn't like the book, good to know about it though! Nice review :). I have I think two other books by Nick Hornby on my wishlist (mainly because I love the film About a Boy so I want to read the book, if it's any good? Has anyone read it?). I liked The Complete Polysyllabic Spree but I didn't love it, I don't know if I want to buy another book by him or not, based on it. I mean I liked it but I thought Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing, for example, was a lot better.

I liked The Complete Polysyllabic Spree but I didn't love it, I don't know if I want to buy another book by him or not, based on it. I mean I liked it but I thought Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing, for example, was a lot better.

Agreed!

I've heard of those two books but just assumed they were fiction. I was wondering why you mentioned the two together, so I've just looked them up on Amazon and they are completely different to what I assumed they were. :blush2: They look like something I may read at some point, so thank you both for bringing them to my attention. :smile:

Edited by bobblybear

The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham

Mike and Phyllis Watson are journalists with the EBC (that’s the English Broadcasting Corporation, not the BBC ;) ). They are amongst the first to get a first-hand view of mysterious fireballs entering the ocean.

Several official plans are put in place to find the purpose of these fireballs and what is going on in The Deeps. However the bathyspheres and ships that have been sent to investigate are destroyed, and so it would appear that whatever has entered the ocean is not benign.

The story is told in distinct phases, from the current perspective - it’s a recollection of the events that have occurred till now. We don’t really learn much about Mike and Phyllis as individuals, even though they are the ones telling the story. The book focuses more on the global impact as a whole, rather than the impacts on individuals.

I really enjoyed it. It's not hard-core SF and so there aren't any complex technical bits to get your head around. There's nothing in there that the average reader will struggle to understand (which for me, is often a barrier that prevents me reading and enjoying more science-fiction), and on the whole it's an easy read. The pace slows down a little bit about two-thirds through but then picks up again for the 'final act', which was probably my favorite part of the story.

I will be reading more Wyndham after this; hopefully I will enjoy them just as much. :smile:

5/6

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Set in a dystopian future, society has been divided into five factions – Abnegation (selflessness), Candor (honesty), Dauntless (brave), Erudite (intelligence) and Amity (kindness). It isn’t made clear about why society has fractured like this. Hopefully this is explored in the sequels as I really wanted to know why.

All children are born into the faction that their parents are in, but when they turn 16 an aptitude test (in the form of a simulation) determines which faction they will be in for the rest of their lives.

Beatrice was born into Abnegation, however struggles to follow the virtues of selflessness. When she takes her aptitude test, the results are inconclusive. Instead of having one clear faction, Beatrice can fit into several, which makes her known as Divergent. She is told by the test-taker that she must not tell anyone of this, as to be Divergent is equivalent to having a death sentence put upon you.

Beatrice chooses Dauntless, and shortens her name to Tris. In Dauntless, initiates must pass several tests before being formally accepted. Those who don’t make the cut are cast out and will remain ‘factionless’ – essentially meaning homeless and looked down by all.

In the background to this, there is some trouble stirring between the factions, with Erudite publishing reports heavily criticising the government run under Abnegation. Towards the end, this conflict comes to a head, and sets the stage for the sequels.

This is clearly a young adult novel, as seen by the ages of the protagonists, as well as the somewhat typical themes of cliquey friendships, struggles to fit in, conflicts between groups and first romances. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of these themes, it's something to be expected with YA novels and so I can't criticise it for that.

I thought the death of Tris' parents was handled in a rushed manner, almost with a shrug of the shoulders, and 'Oh well, they had to take one for the team. Let's move on quickly now!'. I found that very odd, and thought they warranted a bit more than that.

This is one of the best YA novels I've read so far, and will definitely be reading the sequels (and the film when it comes out next year).

5/6

I felt Insurgent wasn't quite as good, but it has a very good ending, and I'm excited about getting hold of Allengiant on Tuesday. The film also looks brill, very true to the book. :)

I find it's often the case that the sequels aren't as good as the first one, but I'll still read it as I like the story. I looked at the trailer for the film and it looks quite good.

Divergent and Insurgent are on my TBR (Allegiant on the wishlist), nice review :)! The Kraken Wakes sounds interesting as well, nice review for that one too!

Thanks! :smile: I found Divergent a pretty quick read, even though it's not a short book. It's just one that you can easily blaze through; I hope you get to read it soon. :smile:

Great review of The Kraken Wakes bobbs :) I'm not good in dystopia (I went there once and got lost :giggle:) .. so don't know if I'd get on with Divergent :shrug: .. glad you enjoyed it though :smile: 

Thanks! :smile: I didn't find Divergent too dystopian, in that it doesn't bang you repeatedly over the head with it. It barely touched on the surroundings and the state of the world; it was more about the characters. You may enjoy it, but you probably have many on your TBR list that you'd prefer to get to first. :giggle:

Thanks! :smile: I didn't find Divergent too dystopian, in that it doesn't bang you repeatedly over the head with it. It barely touched on the surroundings and the state of the world; it was more about the characters. You may enjoy it, but you probably have many on your TBR list that you'd prefer to get to first. :giggle:

Hmmm .. you've seen it have you? :D I am warming to Divergent now that you've told me it's character driven. I'm glad too that it wouldn't keep banging me on the head .. I've had enough of those :giggle:  :banghead:  :D  

I have a few more reviews to write up, which I'm working on now.

I'm currently reading The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. I never realised it was only 97 pages long so I will probably finish it tonight.

After that, I really want to tackle at least one of my tree-books that has sat on my bookshelf for about 10 (or more) years. :blush2: At the moment I'm considering I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, The Surgeon of Crowthorne by Simon Winchester, or The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I have countless others, but these are the only ones I fancy reading at the moment.

Chickens, Mules, and Two Old Fools - Victoria Twead

Victoria and Joe are a married couple in their fifties, currently living in Sussex, England. After one rainy day too many, Victoria is inspired by the idea of retiring and living the rest of their lives in Spain. After some cajoling, her husband agrees to a Five Year Plan to see if they like it, before deciding on a permanent move.

They decide to buy an old run down house in a very small village in Spain. It’s a doer-upper, and they have loads of work ahead of them to make it habitable. Before long, they make easy friendships with friendly neighbours, and embrace the local customs (the festivals) and village-life (the section on chickens was particularly enjoyable).

I really loved this. Even though I've never been to Spain and I'm not a huge fan of travelling, it didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. It’s full of wonderfully charming (and amusing) characters, both English and Spanish. It’s a very warm, humorous and light-hearted read, and it's great that the couple don't hesitate to laugh at themselves, and have thrown themselves into their new lives tackling all the changes and difficulties with good humour.

It’s a pretty short read, and the last 15% of the book are Spanish recipes, so it doesn't outstay it's welcome. I've only browsed the recipes, but they look yummy, so perhaps I shall try them out one day. :boogie:

Only £1.88 on Kindle, well worth it and I should have read it earlier (I bought it back in February 2011).

5/6

I have a few more reviews to write up, which I'm working on now.

I'm currently reading The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. I never realised it was only 97 pages long so I will probably finish it tonight.

Which edition are you reading? None of those I know come in for the First Book at less than 150 pages, including Oxford and Penguin. Don't forget there's a second Book, which completes the Mowgli stories as well as including a couple of others; the Oxford and Penguin bind the two together into one volume.

Sounds good , Bobbs

I've probably had mine floating in my Kindle for that long . They have 2 more I think --

Two Old Fools on a Camel ~ From Spain to Bahrain and back again

Two Old Fools - Olé! (Old Fool Series)

I'll probably read them both at some point; hopefully they are as entertaining as the first one.

LOL  sounds good. :)

It is pretty good - far better than I expected, which is always a nice surprise.

Which edition are you reading? None of those I know come in for the First Book at less than 150 pages, including Oxford and Penguin. Don't forget there's a second Book, which completes the Mowgli stories as well as including a couple of others; the Oxford and Penguin bind the two together into one volume.

I'm reading it on my Kindle, but I'm now wondering if I downloaded it from Project Gutenberg, as the Kindle version comes in at 177 pages (and according to Amazon I haven't bought it from their site). My version has very poor formatting, with chapters and chapter-prefaces running into each other, so it could be why the page count is so low. I think I'll download the Kindle version (as it's free), and carry on with that version. I'll skim through and see if there are any changes compared to the version I have now.